One of the popular tourist spots in Shillong, Umiam Lake is a considerable and scenic reservoir that attracts a large number of tourists from across the country. Also, know as “Bara Pani” or the Big Water, The Lake is part of a dam, built as a first Hydel Power Project in this North-East Indian State. The cumulative catchment area including both the Dam and the lake is over 220 sq.km.
Intended Initially as a reservoir for a Dam, the Lake quickly has become one of the most popular tourist’s spots in Shillong, becoming a prominent venue for kayaking, water cycling, boating and scooting. Tourists can also enjoy riding row boats, paddle boats, sailing boats, cruise boats and speed boats as well.
Due to its picturesque, panoramic setting, surrounded by the lush and lofty East Khasi Hills, Umiam Lake is regularly as compared with the beautiful and mesmerizing Lakes of Scotland. The lake additionally functions a beautiful garden named Lum Nehru Park, near its shorelines that add to its charms. Moreover, there are small islands that rise from the water that look exceedingly beautiful and when glimpsed from UCC (Union Christian college Peak), the lake emerges in all its beauty and splendor.
The lake opens daily for various water game sports activities between 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. but, its panoramic sights can be enjoyed every time.
Fun Activities for Children’s:-
There are a number of exciting and fun activities for kids to enjoy in at Umiam Lake. Except boating, there are different water sporting fun activities that children can indulge in, under the guidance of their guardians.
How To Reach:-
- Umiam Lake is accessible by roads easily from Shillong which in turn is connected to Guwahati (Assam) and other cities of Meghalaya.
- The nearest railhead is in Guwahati at approximately at about 80.9 km away.
- Shillong has a small airport known as Umroi airport at about 13.7 km far away from Umiam Lake, but it has very limited flights to Kolkata only.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available near Umiam Lack. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Agartala is a component of two words, namely “Agar”, a kind of oily valuable perfume tree, and the suffix “tala”, a storehouse. The city is governed by the Agartala Municipal Corporation. Agartala lies at the bank of the Haora River and is located 2 km from the Bangladesh Border. Agartala is India’s third international internet gateway after the ones in Mumbai and Chennai.
Home to the Manikya Kings in the past, Agartala is the perfect mix of natural beauty combined with diverse and rich culture.
Agartala isn’t simply flowers and valleys but additionally has a cultural richness with the diversity of people that live here along with the historical and religious monuments. The capital of Tripura manages to create its tradition and personality out of the coming together of stories of all those who are living right here and give it a hue in their very own culture. The most developed city in the state, it is still a far cry from the metros and hence maintains the best of both worlds.
Agartala enjoys moderate and Pleasant climate throughout the year. October to March is the right time for visiting the city.
Places To Visit:-
- Uijayanta Palace
- Tripura Sundari Temple
- Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary
How To Reach:-
- Regular and direct bus routes to Agartala are from Kolkata, Guwahati, Shillong, and Silchar.
- Direct trains are available from Lumding in Assam.
- The Agartala airport in Tripura is the closest airport. At a distance of 5mins from Agartala.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available near to Agartala. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
For more details about Agartala
The island of Majuli is located at a distance of 200 kilometers to the east of Guwahati, which is the largest metropolis of Assam. Jorhat, an important town in the state, falls nearest to the island, being hardly 20 kilometers away. Majuli is a lush green environment-friendly, pristine and pollution free freshwater island in the river Brahmaputra, just 20 km from the Jorhat town.
With a total area of 1250 sq. km, Majuli is the world’s biggest river island and it draws tourists from all over the world. Among one of the most surreal places in India, Majuli is also a strong contender for a place in UNESCO’s World Heritage sites. Mostly inhabited by Tribals, the way of life of Majuli is unique and quite interesting and is one of the key reasons why people love this place so much. It is also known as the cultural capital of Assam. The festivals celebrated here are all joyous and vibrant. The main festival in the town of Majuli is called Raas and witnessing it’s an interesting spectacle.”
The best time to go to Majuli is to coincide with the ‘Rasleela”, on the time of the full moon in the month of Kartik (November) however Majuli may be visited all year round.
How To Reach:-
- Jorhat is the closest road linked with Majuli. The ASTC buses work on a regular basis to ply a decent service to the visitors.
- if you want to travel by train, you may get a train to Jorhat that is connected with Guwahati, a major Assam city.
- Jorhat is the nearest airport to Majuli. it’s connected to some of the major domestic airports. There are ferries to take you to Majuli.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Majuli. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
A small town in West Bengal famous for its terracotta temples, Bishnupur is well-known among tourists, especially for its rich culture together with architecture, music, and handicraft.
Bishnupur is a town with a rich heritage and a present as rich in tradition, artwork, and architecture. Its heritage and an ornamented culture transcend into multiple attraction of for the tourists, which can be witnessed in the area’s soft corner for classical music, painting or even as you’re taking home a Baluchari sari.
The temples that the area is understood for include Jorbangla temple, Rasmancha temple, Shyamrai Temple and many more. These find immense grandeur of their identification as carriers of significant histories as well as architectural marvels.
How To Reach:-
- Local buses run in Kolkata, and the nearest bus stand to Bishnupur is in Panagarh which is 46 km away.
- The closest railway station is in Dimapur, located 236 kilometers away.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Airport is located in Kolkata, and it’s at a distance of 121 km from Bishnupur. you may either rent a taxi from the airport.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Bishnupur. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Mokokchung is a town and a municipality in Mokokchung district in the Indian state of Nagaland. It is the district headquarters in addition to the main urban hub of Mokokchung district. Mokokchung is the cultural nerve center of the Ao people and is economically and politically the most important urban center in northern Nagaland.
The most significant city center in all of Nagaland after Dimapur and Kohima and the home of Ao Naga.
The popular tourist spots in the area include the District Museum, the town main park, (located simply above the town center), Unman village (that is regarded as the oldest and biggest) and the Ao village. In addition, visitors may additionally be interested in exploring Places like Longkhum, Langpangkong, Mopungchukit, and Chuchuyimlang located in the district. Considering the fact that agriculture constitutes the main occupation within the areas, festivals at some point of the sowing and harvesting months are sure to enhance the tourist’s experience.
you can go to Mokokchung Museum all around the year, however, winters are the favorable months.
Things To Do in Mokokchung:-
while you’re at Mokokchung Museum, you have to enrich your knowledge about the Ao Tribe by way of witnessing the collection of their swords, jewelry, traditional outfits on display.
How To Reach:-
- Mokokchung is well-connected by road through the National Highway number – 61 that runs from Kohima to Amguri crossing Wokha, Mokokchung, Changtongya, and Tuli.
- The closest railway station to Mokokchung is Mariani (Assam),86.4 km from Mokochung.
- The nearest airports to Mokokchung are in Dimapur (placed at a distance of 195 kilometers).
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Mokokchung. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Located at a height of about 3048m, is known for many important and beautiful monasteries and is famous as the birthplace of Dalai Lama.
A multi-colored canvas painted with the strokes of white-brown and in green, Tawang is the land of the Monpas. Picturesque Buddhist Monasteries, sparkling lakes, and cascading waterfalls deck this North-Eastern tour destination which looks nothing less than a slice of heaven.
The beautiful town of Tawang, also pronounced as Dawang has many sceneries to make your journey a picturesque one. However, what begins to define the area is its significance for Buddhist monks. Tawang is the place to head for monasteries, with the Tawang Monastery being the most famous one and extremely sacred for the Buddhists. Tawang is a place which flatters you with its natural beauty wrapped within the scent of spirituality. The beautiful orchid sanctuary and the Tipi Orchid Sanctuary is also an ideal place in your listing of places to visit. Alongside this one will have their taste buds to have an experience of Tawang through indulging in the area’s unique cuisine.
Places to visit:-
- Sela Pass
- Tawang Monastery
- Taktsang Gompa
- Gorichen Peak
- Shonga-taser Lake
- Nuranang Waterfalls
- Pankang Teng Tso Lake
- Bumla Pass
- Bap Teng Kang Waterfalls
- Jaswant Garh
How To Reach:-
- Arunachal Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) and other private agencies have introduced regular bus Services, most of which connect Tawang to Tezpur (319 km), Bhalukpong (262 km), Nagaon (383 km), Missamari (320 km), East Kameng (381 km), Dhula (420 km), Itanagar (440 km), Sagali (502 km), Udalguri (390 km) and different towns and cities..
- Nearest railway station from Tawang is Rangapara Railway Station, at a distance of 311 km.
- The airport nearest to Tawang is 318 km away in Tezpur.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Tawang. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Cherrapunji with the historical name Sohra being more commonly used, and can also be spelled Cherrapunjee or Cherrapunji) is a subdivisional town within the East Khasi Hills district in the Indian state of Meghalaya. It’s traditional capital of a Nongkhlaw hima (Khasi tribal chieftainship constituting a petty country), both known as Sohra or Churra.
This is a beautiful location and the year-round rain earned Cherrapunji coveted entry long ago into the Guinness Book of World Records as the wettest region on the earth the place in which the rainfall can be recorded in feet in place of in millimeters.
Throughout these months, Cherrapunji is transformed into a sea of tiny, gushing rivulets. The raindrops beat regularly on rooftops and treetops creating a compelling tattoo of awesome sounds, which cannot be savored anywhere else but in the Northeastern states.
With the passage of September, the rhythm of the rain-its main force spent-changes to a gentle patter. And the Khasis and other residents of Cherrapunji, the flora, and the fauna respond to the change in the Rain God’s mood. Soft pastel sun shades start to seem in skies that had been gray all day and rainbows which can be a photographer’s delight begin to make sudden guest appearances.
Cherrapunji is perhaps the only place in India, which has simply one season: the monsoon. The rainfall varies from heavy to medium, but there’s no month without rain. Another surprising truth about Cherrapunji is that it rains mostly at night time. Day-to-day is not really disrupted by way of the rain.
How to Reach:-
- The state transport bus station lies in Paltan Bazaar, near Guwahati Railway Station. A traveler can catch Assam state and Meghalaya state transport buses to Shillong.
- States buses run frequently between Shillong and Cherrapunji
- Guwahati acts as the nearest railhead to Cherrapunji it lies at a distance of 146 km from this area.
- Borjhar airport in Guwahati, approximately 171 km north, is the nearest airport.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Cherapunji. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Pelling, a beautiful town in the West district of Sikkim, is turning into the second biggest tourist destination in Sikkim after Gangtok. The main attraction of the place is the breath-taking sight of the Khangchendzonga and the neighboring peaks.
The famous Pemayangste monastery is much less than a kilometer from here and is a major tourist hotspot. It also provides sites for mountain biking, rock climbing, village tours, meditations, educational studies and several other activities. The scenic town of Pelling is a perfect holiday destination spot for all nature lovers.
Pelling, a beautiful petite town sited at a top of 6800ft was initially covered with wild thick forest which served as home to many indigenous wild animals of that period including Wildman( may not be yet though). This ridge is located in between two old Buddhist monasteries (Pemayangtse and Sangacholing) developed into a full-fledged village named Pelling.
More than that Pelling is the heart in which all of the breathtaking tourist spots of West Sikkim can be visited in several optional sightseeing tours. Pelling has all sorts of tourists centers which includes the hotels of all categories ranging from guest houses to resorts, the government registered travel agency offices and restaurants and fast food corners to enjoy your taste buds with all sorts of cuisines which include local Sikkimese food.
How To Reach:-
- Pelling may be easily reached by road by state transport buses, private cabs, and self-pushed motors. It’s well connected to Gangtok, Siliguri, and Darjeeling and hence can be accessed easily.
- The closest Railway Station from Pelling is Borjhar, Guwahati, Assam, which is at a distance of 170 Kms from Pelling.
- The closest Airport to Pelling is Bagdogra Airport, Siliguri, that’s a four-hour drive from Pelling.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Pelling. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
situated in the southwest a part of the northeastern state of Nagaland, Kohima is a hill station perched at an altitude of 1500 meters above sea level. This capital town is at a distance of 339 km from Guwahati, 145 km from Imphal and 74 km from Dimapur. The National Highway 39 connects it to both Dimapur and Imphal. It experiences around 250 cm of annual rainfall. while summers are tropical, winters are dry and bitterly cold.
Kohima was founded alongside the large Angami village known as Kohima Village. It has earned its name in history as the place where the Japanese side during World War II become halted.
So, if you are looking forward to attending this cultural affair then December is the month for you. you can sightsee different landmarks as well like the Catholic Cathedral at Aradura Hill, world conflict II Cemetery, the Nagaland State Museum, and the Zoological Park. Other than sightseeing in Kohima, you may additionally attempt a trek along with your family to Dzukou Valley, which is some 20 km away. Spend a serene time with your family in the cozy green hills of Kohima.
The capital town of the northeastern nation of Nagaland, Kohima is an ideal place to have a memorable and peaceful vacation. The best time to visit Kohima is between the months of October and may. These months are conducive for sightseeing and other activities.
How To Reach:-
- Nagaland state transport runs buses from Dimapur to Kohima and the journey takes around four hours.
- The nearest railway station is in Dimapur, about 70 kilometers from Kohima. Daily trains for Guwahati, Kolkata, New Delhi and other major cities in the country are available from here.
- The nearest airport is at Dimapur. Indian airlines operate Boeing offerings from both Calcutta and Delhi every alternate day. Guwahati and Imphal also are connected to Dimapur through the air.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Kohima. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
Darjeeling hill town is located at an altitude of 6,710ft in northeast India and is part of the state of West Bengal. Household name because of its varieties of teas, Darjeeling is a hill station with vast expanses of tea estates and Tibetan influence of their craft, culture, and cuisine.
A previous summer capital of India under the British Raj, Darjeeling has come off age as one of the most sought after hill stations in India. Famous for its beautiful tea plantations and the quality of Darjeeling tea, Darjeeling is a delight for all kinds of tourists. The toy train established back in 1881, still runs in this part and is also one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Beautiful colonial architecture including mansions and churches dot this little beautiful town.Filled with people from Tibet, Nepal, nearby Indian states and the Gorkhas.
Darjeeling is brimming with cultural diversity. The third highest peak in the world and the highest in India, the Kanchenjunga peak is clearly visible from here and you could enjoy a panoramic view of the peak. some of Darjeeling’s most popular attractions include monasteries, botanical gardens, a zoo, and the Darjeeling-Rangeet Valley Passenger Ropeway cable car which happens to be the longest Asian cable car. Darjeeling is a wonderful place to walk around and explore the tea estates, villages, and markets.
How To Reach:-
- There’s regular bus service from Siliguri to Darjeeling that is approximately 70 km away
- The nearest primary railway junction is New Jalpaiguri, 62 km away from the main town
- The nearest airport is Bagdogra, 69.3 km away from Darjeeling.
- Based on your budget Best Hotels are available in Darjeeling. For the Best Price, you can Book your Hotels like Agoda, Expedia, Cleartrip, via.com, hotels.com
For more Famous places in south India Please Visit: